Quidd Tech

Technical issue discussion and resolution for Quinnipiac University Interactive Digital Design lab computers.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

New IDD Stuff for Fall '06


     Hi folks! Please take a few moments to read about some changes to the lab.

Home folders

     You know those folders where you save everything? Well, I deleted them.. as you may have noticed when you first logged in this fall. Don't worry, you can still get your work back -- I'll explain in a moment. What you DO need to know, however, is that files saved in your new Home folders will not immediately be saved on the server. This means that you could potentially lose information, even if you save it to your Home, by not logging off or taking appropriate actions. (Those of you who crash the G5s are most at risk..)

     What we are using this semester is known as HomeSync. HomeSync lets you work with your Home folders without fighting for bandwidth or disk time at the server. When you login, your files are downloaded to the machine; and at logout, uploaded back to the server. Every 20 minutes or so, the G5s (and Duos) will try to sync your files back to the server. You can also sync files at any time, by using the HomeSync menu:



Click on that thing, and choose Sync Home Now (do it..)


     Ok.. super. This change to Home folders should give all the machines a boost in performance, and hopefully solves LG's mystery Friday problem. (I still think it was ... you know who you are.)

     Old Home folders -- they have been archived, and you can still get to the data. Please, do NOT copy your complete old Home into your new Home. Doing so will cause your HomeSync to run poorly.. please just mount and take what you need. In order to get to your old data, use the Finder "Go" menu, choose "Connect to Server". The server name is "xs-neon", authenticate and choose the "IDD Archives" sharepoint. If you had a Home folder last semester, it will be there named <username>.dmg -- mount it. Do NOT drag and drop your .dmg file onto your desktop! Just mount from the server (double click). The archive will only be available until Thanksgiving.. after that, your old stuff is toast.

     Last note about Home folders: Don't forget to log off! Your logoff will save all your local data back to the server.. you should always logoff.

     As always, good luck with the semester -- I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys as little problems crop up. Oh, and for pete's sake, participate. If anyone has HomeSync issues, let me know.

~B

5 Comments:

  • At 28/8/06 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I added stuff to my dock, when i logged off and then logged back on the icons were not on the dock

     
  • At 28/8/06 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Quite right, thanks for pointing that out... I'll update the page when it's been fixed.

     
  • At 31/8/06 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its been fixed!

     
  • At 26/11/06 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been attempting to connect to the server and retrive my archived IDD files, but everytime I try to login it says it is unsucessful. I can connect with xs-radon, but not xs-neon. Have all of the files been deleted or are they still available? I'll give up trying if all the work I've put in for the past three years is gone....

     
  • At 27/11/06 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They are still there, and the server is up. Please send me an email so I can contact you directly..

    I'll be removing the archives sometime this week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home